Closing Notifications & Alerts
Bad Weather Closing
The district may close schools for a full day or part of a day because of bad weather or emergency conditions. When such conditions exist, the Superintendent will make the official decision concerning the closing of the district's facilities. When it becomes necessary to open late or to release students early, the following radio and television stations will be notified by school officials:
- KYKX - FM 105.7
- KMHT-FM 103.9
- KGAS-FM 104.3
- KCUL-FM 92.3
- BOBCAT RADIO 104.9
When weather conditions become unsafe for the maintenance of safe and efficient transportation of students, the decision to dismiss school rests with the Superintendent. The following procedures regarding early morning or emergency weather dismissal will be observed:
- After receiving word that inclement weather is forecast, the director of support services will maintain contact with the County Sheriff, City Marshall and HISD security. During the night, the security officer will be alert to changing road conditions and will inform the director of support services if driving conditions are hazardous at the conclusion of his shift. The director of support services will notify the Superintendent of this report. At 4:00 a.m., the Superintendent, director of support services and other designated personnel will begin to drive areas where buses transport students in an effort to assess driving conditions. All personnel will report findings to the Superintendent no later than 4:45 a.m.
- By 5:00 a.m., a decision will be imminent. The Superintendent will contact administrators of neighboring districts about their plan for the day.
- No later than 5:15 a.m., a decision will be made regarding HISD's plans.
- The Public Relations officer will telephone all local radio and television stations with the news of a delayed starting time or dismissal of classes. The director of support services will notify all appropriate bus and cafeteria personnel before 5:30 a.m.
- If the Superintendent is unavailable and therefore unable to make a decision, the Assistant Superintendent is delegated the authority to make emergency closing decisions as outlined in procedures 1-5 above.
- If the Assistant Superintendent is unavailable, the Director of Support Services will make the emergency closing decision.