Basic English III, IV
(903 668-5990) ext. 4221
The Resource English Room at Hallsville High School is designed to develop, strengthen, and improve skills for positive academic performance and achievement. Through content area course work, pre- and post- teaching, cognitive learning strategies are taught which focus on comprehension and memory skills, organizational and study skills, test taking, and the enhancements of written expression. Self-advocacy skills and transitional planning are also part of the instructional program. Students' progress is monitored and reviewed throughout the year according to their IEPs (Individual Educational Plans).
Resource Room Goals:
- To assist the students in becoming as independent and successful as they can
- To monitor the students’ progress toward meeting the IEP goals and to assist the student in successfully completing all courses of study
- To maintain communication with the student, parents, teachers, guidance counselors and other staff involved with the education of the student
- To introduce and develop skills needed for learning
Resource Room Components:
- Planning and Goal Setting
- Setting Priorities and Time Management
- Monitoring, Self-Assessment, Advocacy
- Reading and Language Arts
- Transitional planning
- Pick up your journal as you enter the room.
- Begin warm-up writing in your journal.
- Monday- Current Events
- Tuesday- Current Events
- Wednesday- Sentence Practice
- Thursday- Sentence Practice
- Friday- Free write
- Reading study will include regular and adapted versions of current and classic literature. All of the material will be read in class.
It is expected that students will come to class prepared with the materials needed for Resource. Students are expected to maintain a "planner", or another organizational method to keep track of assignments, projects, and tests/quizzes. Students will complete assigned work in order to achieve goals on their IEPs and review/complete assignments from their content-area classes.
Grading: All Resource room students will be graded on Participation/Productivity, daily journal writing, and word study. Grading accommodations and modifications will be made per each individual student’s IEP.
In order be successful in Resource Room:
- Utilize time wisely.
- Follow classroom rules.
- Attend class daily.
- Ask for help.