Charging Policy

  • Dear Parents/Guardians of HISD Students:

    1. Federal Requirement
      The purpose of this policy is to address the need for school food authorities (SFA) participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP) to institute and clearly communicate a meal charge policy, which would include, if applicable, the ability of an alternate meal. Because all students in participating schools may receive reimbursable school meals, all SFA must have a policy in place for children who are participating at the reduced price or paid rate, but either do not have money in their account or in hand to cover the cost of the meal at the time of service. Such a policy ensures that school food service professionals, school administrators, families, and students have a shared understanding of expectations in these situations.

    2. Purpose of Policy
      The purpose of this policy is to establish consistent meal account procedures throughout the district. Unpaid charges place afinancial strain on the food service department. The goals of this standard of practice are:
      • To treat all students with dignity in the serving line regarding meal accounts.
      • To support positive situations with district staff, district business policies, student and parent/guardian to the maximum extent possible.
      • To establish age appropriate policies.
      • To encourage parent/guardian to assume the responsibility of meal payments and to promote self-responsibility of the student.
      • To establish a consistent district policy regarding charges and collection of charges.

    3. Scope of Responsibility
      The food service department, Chief Financial Officer, Administrative Assistant: Responsible for maintaining charge records and notifying the student’s parent/guardian.

    4. District Policy on Student Charging for all Schools.
      • Students are allowed to Charge Breakfast Meals.
      • Students are allowed to charge 3 Reimbursable meals.
      • Students are not allowed to charge any Ala Carte/Snack items.
      • Students that exceed 3 meals, The Contracting Entity (CE) will be given an Alternate Meal.

    5. District Policy on Employee Charging for all Schools.
      • Employees are allowed to charge Breakfast Meals.
      • Employees are not allowed to charge meals off of student accounts.
      • Employees must set up their own account per school.
      • Employees are allowed to charge up to $20.00.

    6. District Policy on Alternate Meals.
      • Students that exceed three (3) meals of charging will be issued a Reimbursable Alternate Meal on a regular tray.
      • Students will continue this process until balance is paid.

    7. Ways to research and add money to a student’s account are:
      • Lunch Money Now.
      • You can also send money by your child, in sealed envelope, with clear instructions for the money.

    8. Refunds
      For withdrawn students and/or graduating students, a written request/email (containing student’s name and address), to where a refund of any money remaining in their account must be submitted. Parents that are requesting transfer of money to another sibling must be submitted in writing or by email to

    In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: This institution is an equal opportunity provider.