Purchasing of any computer hardware, software, peripherals or any other equipment that is intended to connect to the district network is performed by or in consultation with the HISD Technology Department. All technology related purchases must go through the HISD Technology Department, regardless of the funding source. HISD purchases technologies that are sustainable, compatible with existing systems, and can be efficiently supported. As a result we have numerous agreements with hardware, software, network, and telecommunication vendors, service agencies, multimedia companies, software developers and others.
HISD Technology cannot install software that is not owned by or licensed to the Hallsville Independent School District. User-owned (personal) software titles cannot be installed on HISD computers just as HISD owned software cannot be installed on personal computers. This is a violation of most End User License Agreements (EULA) and many times, a violation of federal piracy laws. The Copyright Law recognizes that all intellectual works (programs, data, pictures, articles, books, etc.) are automatically covered by copyright unless it is explicitly noted to the contrary. That means that the owner of a copyright holds the exclusive right to reproduce and distribute his or her work. For software this means it is illegal to copy or distribute software, or its documentation, without the permission of the copyright holder.
Centralized purchasing of technology hardware and software ensure:
- Compatibility with district network environment
- Compliance with district technology security policy
- Suitability based on assessment
- Licensing compliance for software purchase
- Hardware and software that can be efficiently supported
- Availability of sufficient resources including initial and recurring costs
Standardization allows the district to efficiently select and manage technology, obtain better technology pricing, reduce maintenance costs and increase access to training and assistance. These standards are re-evaluated periodically based on common needs, vendor offerings, cost, reliability, supportability, quality, sustainability, compliance with recycling policies and timeliness of vendor response.
HISD Techology Purchasing Policy
- Computer hardware, software, peripherals or any other equipment that is intended to connect to the district wired or wireless network and/or use any infrastructure building cabling will require consultation with HISD Technology before purchasing.
- Attach a copy of the purchase approval email message from HISD Technology to the purchase order. If you already have an HISD Technology contact for purchasing/consultation, please continue to consult with them.
- The Hallsville ISD Technology Department reserves the right to remove any unauthorized hardware or software. The Hallsville Independent School District will not be held liable for damages, maintainance, repair, or replacement of user installed hardware or software before, during, or after the removal process.
- If you have any questions regarding the technology purchasing process, email email@example.com. For questions or assistance, contact us at (903) 668-5990 x5701.