How to setup and embed a Google Calendar
Embedding a shared Google Calendar in HISD pages is a simple and easily maintainable way to share events with students, staff, parents, and the community. Additionally our Google Apps instance automagically updates the events on the web immediately.
Note: This tutorial was written for the new Google Calendar interface. If you're not using the new interface, click the blue "Use new Calender" button in the upper-right corner. You can always go back to the old calendar interface later by clicking the gear icon and selecting "Back to classic calendar".
On the Google Calendar Side:
- From your HISD Google Calendar page, click the "+" right of the "Add a coworker's calendar" item in the left menu and select "New Calendar". (If you've already got a calendar you wish to use, skip this, hover the mouse over the desired entry in the left calendar list, click the 3 vertical dots next to the calendar name and select "Settings and Sharing", then jump to step 5.)
- Give your new calendar a name and description. Remember, you can embed as many calendars as you wish so be descriptive.
- Click the "Create Calendar" text in the lower left corner.
- After a few seconds the new calendar will appear in the left menu list. Once it does, click the entry and then "Calendar Settings"
- Change the "Auto-accept invitations" to "Do not show invitations".
- Check the "Make available to public" checkbox and then "OK". Make sure the "See all event details" option is selected.
- Scroll down to the "Integrate calendar" section and find the "Embed code entry".
- Click on the line containing the text "iframe" (it will turn blue).
- Right click the blue text and select "Copy". You'll need this on your clipboard for later steps.
Note: Any event placed on this calendar will be shared to the entire world!
On the BlackBoard WCM Side:
- Create a new blank page, or select an existing page
- Click the "Manage Apps & Layout" link
- Click the "Add App" button
- From the list on the left, select the "Embed Code" app and click "Create New"
- Give your app a name, something descriptive but not too long, then click "Create"
- Back at the main page, drag the app to your desired placement (if needed) then click the blue "I'm Done" button
- Click on your new app (the gray bar with "Embed Code")
- In the textbox provided, right click and "Paste" the contents of your clipboard from "On the Google Calendar Side: Step 9"
- Click the "Save" button
- Give yourself a sound pat on the back, you just created an embedded Google Calendar app like the one below. If you need additional calendars, just lather, rinse and repeat.
I cannot stress enough that all events placed on this calendar will be publicly available to anyone and everyone!