DRESS AND GROOMING
(All Grade Levels) The district’s dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, and minimize safety hazards. Students and parents may determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the following:
- Students shall be dressed and groomed in a manner that is clean, neat and will not be a health or safety hazard to themselves or others.
- Students are expected to dress or groom themselves in clothes and accessories that are appropriate for school activities, including, but not limited to rubber soled shoes for physical education.
- The district and or campus shall deem inappropriate any article of clothing, jewelry, body decoration, hair color or hairstyle extreme enough to create a distraction or disturb the normal routine of school, including gang-related items and obscene, provocative and suggestive symbols.
- Students may not wear any inflammatory symbol, emblem, picture, word or slogan, including racial or drug related items that may create a disruption of school.
- Students may not wear low cut shirts, tank-tops, spaghetti straps, (shoulder straps must be at least two inches wide), racer-back or strapless clothing, clothing that exposes bare mid-drifts, excessively torn clothing or excessively loose clothing that results in sagging.
- Dresses, skirts and shorts must be no shorter than 3” above the top of the knee.
- Students must have appropriate coverage when wearing leggings, tights or spandex pants.
- Students shall not wear any article of clothing that covers the face, including dark glasses unless prescribed by a physician and documented on file in the nurse’s office. *COVID Guidelines in place for Fall ‘20
- Students may not have holes in their leggings above the knee.
- Teachers, coaches or sponsors may define appropriate dress for school-sponsored trips and extracurricular activities.
- Campus principal has the authority to make decisions regarding dress code that are not outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.
Specific to HJH
- Torn clothing above the knee needs tights underneath if you can see skin
- Extreme hair color/hair style and tattoos are prohibited
- Piercings other than ears are prohibited - wear a clear spacer or cover with band aid
- Hats and head coverings (hoods) may NOT be worn inside. They can be worn outside ONLY
- Any articles of clothing determined by admin as disruptive to the educational setting
If the principal determines that a student’s grooming or clothing violates the school’s dress code, the student will be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school. If not corrected, the student may be assigned to in-school suspension for the remainder of the day until the violation is corrected. Repeated offenses may result in more serious disciplinary action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct
Hallsville Jr. High School Dress Code Infraction Progression
Step One - Students will be given an opportunity to self correct the problem at school.
Step Two - Administration will provide an opportunity to correct the problem by providing an alternate, school appropriate item of clothing.
Step Three - The student has the opportunity to call the parent for new clothing, but will be sent back to class wearing the principal-provided article until parent arrival. Students can exchange clothing between classes.
*Refusal to adhere to opportunities provided by administration will result in a referral.
Continued violations will result in the student being assigned to ISS for the remainder of the day.